RE: Re: AW: AW: 11c11040 modem with agrsm-ubuntu8.04.1-2.6.24-19-generic.tar.gz and othre kernels

Hi Robert,
Yes, some of this stuff can be automated.
For example, there is a line in one of the
/etc/sysconfig/ files (file is called 'kernel', I
think) that lets you list additional modules your
kernel should load on boot. You can add agrmodem and
agrserial there.

It is not necessary to do the 'ln -s' commands every
startup, you can just edit your dialler's config to
change to the /dev/ttyAGS3 port... so in
/etc/wvdial.conf, it would read 'Modem=/dev/ttyAGS3'
as opposed to pointing to one of the links you create
with 'ln -s'

If you're particularly adventurous, you might want to
write an init script that loads the drivers and
creates the symlinks for you. (see
/etc/init.d/skeleton for a bare-bones sample of an
init script)

With regards to eth0, it will need to be brought down
every time you want to dial. You could perhaps write a
small 3-line bash script that does this, then dials,
and when you press a certain key combo, disconnects
the modem and brings eth0 back up.

If my memory serves correctly, the following should do
it:

#!/bin/sh
sudo ifconfig eth0 down
wvdial && sudo ifconfig eth0 up

since && tells bash to wait for wvdial to finish
before running the following command.
Alternatively, you could be lazy and just yank the
network plug whenever you need to use the modem :)

Bjorn.

http://office.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/power/mail/index.html