Re: [Fwd: Re: Lin USA 11c11040 on mepis 7.0 2.6.24.4-desktop586-1mnb]

Hi Lin,
Yes, you can try it with Mandriva.
Re-Alsa version. Alsa-project has a list of past versions available for download on the download page, if I remember correctly. (if you can't find it, let me know and I'll dig up the link.)

Best,
Bjorn.

lin wrote:
Hello Bjorn,
Alsa at 1.0.15
Is your reference to tarball to reinstall alsa? I see only 1.0.17 in alsa-project.org. I prefer using mepis, but I have installed mandriva 2008 in another partition. It has
/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4.5-2mnb/sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c_
 so I could try that if you think your procedure works for mandriva.
I don't know its alsa status.

Lin

Bjorn Wielens wrote:
Hi Lin,
If you know which version of ALSA your kernel has, you
can do this using the matching ALSA source tarball at
http://alsa-project.org/ .. I instruct people to use
their kernel sources because it's much easier and more
likely to be successful.

(If you use an alsa tarball, the file to edit is
alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_codec.c).

Best wishes,
Bjorn.

--- lin <linfix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Bjorn,

I hope I just  nstalled the correct  package:
linux-source-2.6.22 (2.6.22-18mepis1)

Linux kernel source for version 2.6.22 with patches
This package provides source code for the Linux
kernel version 2.6.22.
This source closely tracks official Linux kernel
releases.

Linux Kernel Headers for development 2.6.18-7
already there.

Searched again for hda_codec.c found only the file
in /usr/share/doc

Regards
Lin

Bjorn Wielens wrote:
Hi,
Sounds like you don't have your kernel sources
installed.
You will need to install them before you can
proceed;
this can usually be done through your favourite
package manager, often the package is named
kernel-source- followed by version info. Be sure
that
you get the full kernel sources for your distro
and
NOT just the kernel headers, which are not useful
us. Sources may be placed under a category such as
'Linux
development', 'kernel development' or 'source
packages'.
Best, Bjorn.

--- lin <linfix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bjorn,
I have done some cleaning, Ready to try again.
Trying instructions:
root@mepis1:/home/billy# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version
1.0.15.
Compiled on Oct 28 2007 for kernel
2.6.22-1-mepis-smp (SMP).

root@mepis1:/home/billy# cat
/usr/src/linux/sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c
cat: /usr/src/linux/sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c: No
such file or directory
root@mepis1:/home/billy# ls -l /usr/src/linux
ls: /usr/src/linux: No such file or directory

Search for hda_codec on / yielded only a file
with
some instruction in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver
which didn't seem relevant.

?? Lin