Re: 11c11040 -> Pulling proprietary core discussion (Emmanuel)

RE: time to hack and decompile the agrmodemlib.o to document its secretsI'm not erudite in C or COMM code.  But a deep documentation  may notbe necessary
The ltmodem code for the earlier Digital Signal Processing (DSP)chipset modems was a predecessor of the agrsm code.   If you look atthe agrsm LICENSE etc, Agere/LSI programmer Soumyendu Sarkar clearlyused the ltmodem base as much as possbile.Likely what is mostly new is that the DSP functions are now sent tothe CPU, rather than to a DSP chip on the modem card.
So a guess is that if someone erudite enough following the examples ofthe slmodem or martian  code packages, it would be a good start to thecomparable agrsm code package.
While I suggested this to Alexei, of course, he is likely overworkedenough with teaching, making a living etc,
MarvSOn Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Bjorn Wielens <uniacke1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:> Hi Emmanuel,> Changed the subject line, otherwise someone might> google and get a thread that is not really useful...> :)>> You have a very good point regarding what GNU/Linux> is... and assuming the licence of the agrsm software> is similar to that of Lucent's LTmodem software. (The> sellouts went Lucent --> Agere --> LSI) we should be> able to pull a 'martian' on this code too (referring> to Alexei's work on the martian package for LT> winmodems)...>> Now of course, the hardest part is finding someone> willing and with the time to hack and decompile the> agrmodemlib.o to document its secrets... After which> we'd need someone with C experience to write the new> code.>> Bjorn.>>> --- Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@xxxxxxx>> wrote:>>> Le mardi 29 juillet 2008 à 08:20 -0400, Bjorn>> Wielens a écrit :>> > Hi Emannuel,>> > You're not the only one to hope that the core gets>> > pulled and separated- for one it would mean much>> less>> > of a hassle for anyone after a kernel update,>> since we>> > would have access to the module part of the code>> and>> > adjust it accordingly.>> >>> > However, by far the hardest work in this is>> figuring>> > out how to interface with the agrmodemlib.o file,>> > since this contains the subroutines to access the>> > modem hardware. The answers are all in the C files>> > distributed with the driver, but it takes someone>> with>> > a lot of free time to sort this out... or a good>> > decompiler. (Note: the agrsm license says NOTHING>> > about restrictions on reverse-engineering the>> code.)>> > The only line that would cause problems is this>> one:>> >>> > "You agree not to merge or combine any portion of>> the>> > Software with any other software, other than the>> Linux>> > operating system,>>>> Aha ! What exactly is the Linux Operating system ?>> Any GNU/Linux>> distribution? in that case, we are covered. The>> Linux kernel ? Then,>> given its modular nature, a kernel module would>> certainly qualify as a>> integral part of the said Linux kernel.>>>> The only legal snag I can see is the current trend>> of the kernel>> evolution in pulling the proprietary parts of the>> modules outside the>> main kernel tree. However, as far as I know, "binary>> blobs" are still>> OK... provided they are acted upon as "black boxes".>>>> However, IANAFL...>>>> >                    unless expressly permitted by>> the>> > laws of the jurisdiction where you are located.>> Any>> > portion of the Software merged or combined with>> the>> > other software will continue to be the subject of>> the>> > terms and conditions of this Agreement and you>> agree>> > to reproduce on the merged or combined portion of>> the>> > Software the copyright and other proprietary>> rights>> > notices included in the original Software.">>>> That might be managed...>>>> > @Marv, at least, I think that's what is keeping us>> > from pulling a 'martian' on the agrsm source... If>> we>> > knew the methods and calls available in the>> > agrmodemlib.o file we could easily do this, right?>>>> [ Snip... ]>>>> Sincerely,>>>>                                       Emmanuel Charpentier>>>>>>>>      __________________________________________________________________> Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com>