Re: Fedora 8 with built in alsa modem

On 6/29/08, Edison <edison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is strange for me. I connected for once. I have to do wvdialconf
> and then add all the lines such as:
> +MS=90, Stupid Mode = yes, Auto DNS = yes, Carrier Check = no
> .... And I got connected.
>
> But after I start my computer again, I always get this line:
> Timed out while Dialing. Trying again.
Just CTRL+C and try
# wvdial
again

> I had to erased wvdial.conf and do the wvdialconf all over again to be
> connected again.
No need to do this.  There is no purpose to erase wvdial.conf and
recreate it again.  Save it once and when it is working like you want
save it and make a backup copy as root user
$ su -
password:
# cp /etc/wvdial.conf  /etc/wvdial.conf.bak

> And if I start my computer again, there is nothing in my wvdial.conf.
> All the things I write is gone.

Did you save it as root? or as regular user?

> What happened? Do I have to do the wvdialconf all the time?
No you do not have to do it every time.  Besides running Fedora as my
linux system I also run slax live cd either from usb or cd, and I save
wvdial.conf, resolv.conf and use them again everytime.  This way I do
not have to retype them again.

> PS. May I ask how to put the connecting sound to be heared? Because I
> want to know if I get the dialing or not.

Sometimes dialing can be heard, somettimes not.  I have had these
experiences throughout.  These depend on the modem of course.  I do
not know if this will help you, but you can try and putting in a
command

SetVolume = 2

in /etc/wvdial.conf
to see if you can hear the modem dial.  If it bombs out with an error
remove the line.

> Regards,
>
> edison

Hope this helps.  Edison, please try to respond to the previous thread
that you have.  Opening new threads with very close subjects does not
help newbies out that might have your modem and want similar advice.
This way they can view the archives in a nicer way.  I hope that you
do not mind me asking you to do this, but it does make a difference.

Regards,

Antonio