Re: Elmer, USA, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-2-686

RE: > # bash: slmodem: command not found
The command is slmodemd , not slmodem
Also use USA, not b5

# slmodem --country=USA  --alsa  modem:1

But first do:
#  cat /proc/asound/pcm
which ouput should include a line
01-00: Modem something  Intel ICH4

If it is not there, there is a resource conflict.  Primary candidates
would be drivers/hardware sharing the IRQ
 11:     135715          XT-PIC  yenta, ohci1394, Intel ICH4, ehci_hcd,

Try blacklisting these drivers. See
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg01842.html
on blacklisting guidance.

MarvS