Re: Elmer, USA, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-2-686

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 06:53 pm, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Many things look fine, you have setup the modem correctly.  AT least
> one problem is
>
> /**** scanModem output ****/
>  Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
>   11:     135715          XT-PIC  yenta, ohci1394, Intel ICH4, ehci_hcd,
>  uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, eth2, radeon@PCI:1:0:0, eth0
>   --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 0000:00:1f.6 ----
>  ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.6[B] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
>  ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.6[B] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
>
> Packages needed for support of Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA)
>  support should be installed: alsa-base and alsa-utilities!!
>  They are necessary for support of ALSA modem drivers, many Conexant
> chipset modems and success of modem diagnostics for modems requiring
> slmodemd actions.
> /**** scanModem output ****/
>
> You do not have packages alsa-base and alsa-utilities.  :(  Apparently
> this is what is holding the modem back from functioning.

Pardon me for forgetting to mention that I did follow the instruction to
install alsa-base and alsa-utils. This computer had OSS installed previously.

> If you install those packages and the problem persists, then something
> else is getting in the way.

When I do as instructed in slmodem-ALSA.txt

# slmodem --country=b5 --alsa hw:1

or

# slmodem --country=b5 --alsa hw:0

I get the following response:

# bash: slmodem: command not found

I have slmodemd in /usr/sbin and the command produced an error message
before. What did I do wrong?