Fwd: Alexandre Oberlin, Italy, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic - Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:28:32 +0000
Subject: Re: Alexandre Oberlin, Italy, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic -
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
To: Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Marvin,

Using the old way with slamr I just could connect again, with
absolutely no error, not even the usual exit code 16 from pppd (modem
hangup) , but so SLOW !! There is also about a minute between the
"Starting pppd" message and the display of local, remote and DNS IP
addresses. In fact the connection actually dies out completely after a
while, but there is no error reported whatsoever.
I read somewhere that shutting down eth0 interface or close the
browser might help. I have done both without noticeable difference.

BTW I have always been using COUNTRY ITALY  (aka 59).
Also I always init modem with ATX3, which I think is still mandatory here.

Since you confirm I'll try ASAP the trick with the scripts from
sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5ubuntu4_i386.deb
and binaries from slmodem-2.9.11-20080417 and Ubuntu 7.10.

Thanks again Marvin,

AO

--
C'est une chose extraordinaire que toute la philosophie consiste dans
ces trois mots: