Fwd: Alexandre Oberlin, Italy, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic - Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: alxobr@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:31:53 +0000
Subject: Re: Alexandre Oberlin, Italy, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic -
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
To: Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello Marvin,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. In fact I had done exactly what you
say upon receipt of Antonio's message. So for the first time I could
hear the modem dialing in Linux ;-) ( slamr has always been desperately
mute). Everything goes on without a single error.
Well this was for the good part of it... Then I only had "NO DIAL
TONE' or 'NO CARRIER'. Also with standard ISP, and also when adding
"Init3 = AT MS=34" to wvdial.conf

What I did is try again with slmodem-2.9.11-20080417
This time I added ungrab_winmodem and the ungrab_winmodem preliminary
installation directives found in
sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5ubuntu4_i386.deb:
to a file /etc/modprobe.d/slamr which I created
#######################
alias char-major-242 slamr
install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe
--ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660
/dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)
#######################
I could connect like I already did once, very slowly. Browsing the web was
almost impossible, but I could download a 11 M file with wget, at
approximately  two thirds of the usual speed. Sometimes it stops, and
then continues faster than  before.
Pinging may work normally, or hang, or take ages, also when giving IP numbers.

I am considering to reinstall
sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5ubuntu4_i386.deb
which contain a lot of module directives and just change the slmodem
and ungrab_winmodem binary files.

My laptop is a Unika with lot of VIA hardware.
This is one of the worst experiences I had in 10 years of Linux,
though I had severe trips with SBLive and alsa in the past.

It remains difficult to recommend Linux under those conditions. And of
course the fault is not Linuxers's who make a fantastic job !
Those winmodems are a terrible war machine.

Well I thought Ubuntu would bring me extra comfort ;-)

Thanks again Antonio and Marvin for your concern,

AO

--
C'est une chose extraordinaire que toute la philosophie consiste dans
ces trois mots: