Re: modem on kernel >=2.6.24

Gentlemen:
All I want to know is this : Would the USRobotics external modem USR5633B work in Ubuntu 8.04 ??? If it does, then I would invest in one for about $ 50.- instead of buying the new Windows Vista Home Premium for about $250.- . There seems to be a lot of trouble to get a modem working in Ubuntu and it is portrayed in the Dummy Book I bought for $ 30.- as being fairly simple to install a modem (albeit an external one) and to get online.

If I could get a straight answer, I would be grateful, since in principle I am in favor of the Linux philosophy. Otherwise, I think Bill Gates does not have to worry about anything we are dreaming up.

Regards,
Karl Schrader