Re: Fernando, Brazil Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) Kernel kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7

This dialer is not going to solve anything, as far as I can see by trying to use it.

Also please do not send useless copies of your mail to Marv and to me: we read discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and do not need two copies.

Jose Fernando de Jesus wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2008 18:25:20 +0300, Jacques Goldberg wrote
1-The address below is an ISP.
A dialer is not a place where you connect to but a program (example, wvdial) which you use to connect.
Please try to use the right word, it helps understanding.

   Ok, Jacques, the problem is that I was not complete on my explanation. As
you said, the address I have passed to you is an ISP, but they claim they have
a dialer (a program) also, which is specific for linux, besides the windows
version. They have the link to download this dialer on the frame 'Escolha o
seu sistema', which means 'Choose your Operational System'.
   In this link, they say this dialer has been tested for Red Hat and Conectiva.
   I don't know if it is better to use this dialer than the wvdial, but I have
seen forums on the internet where they say this ISP is the best (the most
stable, maybe) one for linux.

2-All ISP's should work the same with ANY Linux. There is NO dependence on WHICH Linux.

3-As soon as you get something like:
YOUR MODEM WORKS
The problem is a bad definition.
The connection should work without using /etc/resolv.conf if
/etc/wvdial.conf contains
Auto DNS = yes

UNLESS the gateway is not properly set.
Connect again and get
The local and remote IP's may change, they will probably change.
DO NOT TRY TO SURF. DO NOT STOP THE CONNECTION.
Open an other window and there give the command:
/sbin/route -n
There is a line starting with 0.0.0.0 . If the second address is not the same as the remote IP shown by wvdial then the Gateway is not properly set. Then, /sbin/ifconfig may show you more interface blocks than lo and ppp0 These would be things such as a wireless or an Ethernet connection running at the same time: you must stop them! Why? Because no program can know if you want to talk to the world with the modem or whatever. You can TRY (success not guaranteed) to add in /etc/wvdial.conf Check Def Route = yes

Jacques

   Yes, I have the line 'Auto DNS = yes' on /etc/wvdial.conf and my wvdial
complains about /etc/resolv.conf. I will try your tips as soon as I arrive at
home, where I have the dial-up connection.

   Thank you.

Jose Fernando de Jesus wrote:
   Another option: I have found a Brazilian dialer that is said to work with
linux:

http://www.ibest.com.br/site/discador/

   They say it was tested with Red Hat 7.2, 7.3 and 8 and Conectiva 8. So,
probably, it can work with Fedora 7 (or 8), can't it?

On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:15:00 -0400, Marvin Stodolsky wrote
Jose

to /etc/ppp/options
add a line
usepeerdns