De: Jacques Goldberg [mailto:Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx]
Enviado el: vie 02/05/2008 16:36
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re: Improving USB support

Pedro,
Again

? . I have no notice before.

wvdialconf is to detect the modem and configure a data file
necessasry for wvdial to establish a communication..

For winmodems

I prefer softmodems (they also can be used in Linux). My modem is not a softmodem, it is a USB cellular hardmodem (Huawei E220).

a DRIVER is necessary to make the modem exist.

It is included in the Kernel.

Pedro, scanModem is a utility program to be used to find out which driver you
need to install for a given hardware.
scanModem, if you follow the instructions
(http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem) ALWAYS works but not all
Winmodems have a driver matching the finding of scanModem.

No, it does not always find the modem. It works but cannot reach the target (objective) : scan the modem.

It seems to me that you expect the same effect from two programs which
do not have the same purpo

So,  scanModem also offers  information about modem DETECTION ( identify or recognizing modems ).  See http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem

Also in the  ModemData.txt,  you see the next line:

"USB modem not detected by lsusb"

So USB modem detection in ScanModem would be improved.

For USB modem autodetection and for configuration, I use GNOME PPP ( http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41  ), based on Wvdialconf /Wvdial.

In any case, I think there would be "bridges" between the different packages.

Regards.