RE: Improving USB support

De: Jacques Goldberg [mailto:Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx]
Enviado el: vie 02/05/2008 16:36
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re: Improving USB support

>Pedro,
>Again

? . I have no notice before.

> wvdialconf is to detect the modem and configure a data file
necessasry for wvdial to establish a communication..

>For winmodems

I prefer softmodems (they also can be used in Linux). My modem is not a softmodem, it is a USB cellular hardmodem (Huawei E220).

>a DRIVER is necessary to make the modem exist.

It is included in the Kernel.

>Pedro, scanModem is a utility program to be used to find out which driver you
need to install for a given hardware.
>scanModem, if you follow the instructions
(http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem) ALWAYS works but not all
Winmodems have a driver matching the finding of scanModem.

No, it does not always find the modem. It works but cannot reach the target (objective) : scan the modem.

>It seems to me that you expect the same effect from two programs which
do not have the same purpo

So,  scanModem also offers  information about modem DETECTION ( identify or recognizing modems ).  See http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem

Also in the  ModemData.txt,  you see the next line:

"USB modem not detected by lsusb"

So USB modem detection in ScanModem would be improved.

For USB modem autodetection and for configuration, I use GNOME PPP ( http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=41  ), based on Wvdialconf /Wvdial.

In any case, I think there would be "bridges" between the different packages.

Regards.

<<winmail.dat>>