Re: Problem with no sound from Agere Smartlink Winmodem

At this time the Linux SmartLink driver does not support sound.

Of course you can use an RJ-11 phone cable to connect a very cheap phone in parallel with your modem and take it off hook , you will hear all those nice tunes from the speaker in the phone.

Assuming that you know and checked what you did to create your configuration file wvtest with wvdialconf wvtest, you probably forgot to add a line
Carrier Check = no
in your configuration test, as emphasized in the installation instructions.
If I am right, the modem driver then waits for the carrier tone, does not get it because the driver does hear sound, thus the attempt to connect is bound to fail. The wvdialconf "Carrier Check =no" feature simply bypasses the check for a dialing tone, making the connection feasible.

Jacques

Maurice wrote:
Attached files:

  (1) ModemData.txt from scanModem
  (2) wvtestdial  from 'wvdialconf wvtest' & 'wvdial --config wvtest'

(Running under Mandriva 2008.0 PP on Toshiba laptop.)

Using the KPPP dialler, I can obtain a usable connection, but can hear no sounds (dialling tones, negotiation squawks) from the modem (although I can if I use the modem from Windows Vista) - although the M1L3 command was used.

As can be seen from attachment (2), I have also tried WVDIAL, but it kept reporting NO CARRIER.

Is there a way of obtaining sound from the modem?