Re: Donna, USA, kernel 2.6.22-14 and Motorola SM56 modem

Donna,

Jacques forwarded the data on your System:
   Modem chipset  detected on
CLASS="Class 0403: 8086:284b"
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H "
PCIDEV=8086:284b
SUBSYS=1043:1339
IDENT=slmodemd
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:0,6
SoftChip=10573055
Driver=snd-hda-intel

My earliere suggestions below remain appropriate..
My slamr driver package is NOT appropriate to your System.
Rather it is only for1057:3052 chipsets among the several Motorola modems

Rid your system of unneeded drivers from the slamr package with:
$ ls  /lib/modules/ 2.6.22-14-generic/extra/*.ko
which should display slusb.ko  and slamr.ko  .  Then remove them wth
$ sudo rm /lib/modules/ 2.6.22-14-generic/extra/*.ko

$ sudo dpkg -r sl-modem-daemon
to rid your System of confusing bootup scripts.

You will have to reinstall the slmodemd from SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
Copy its slmodemd  to /usr/sbin/slmodemd
$ sudo chmod +x  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
and check with:
$ slmodemd  --version
which should report version  2.9.11

At this stage:
$ sudo  slmodemd -c USA  --alsa hw:0,6
should again setup the modem with creation of
   /dev/ttySL0  --> /dev/pts/N

MarvS