Re: Donna, USA, kernel 2.6.22-14 and Motorola SM56 modem

Donna,
I have been overworked with other issues.
I do not see if your query has been answered by somebody else.
Here is guidance:
Please first remove slmodemd and slamr which you have installed.
Next, download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

There is one problem with the Linux distribution which you have.
It installs a package sl-modem-daemon which is not mandaotory and will automatically start the "driver" (but not dial of course) at boot time. This package contains an obsolete version of the program slmodemd
Therefore it is of primordial importance to always install the package
SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz as shown above AFTER sl-modem-daemon in order to overwrite the obsolete slmodemd by the fresh one.
So, after downloading the file SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz , open it with
tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
Then enter the directory containing the software:
cd SLMODEMD.gcc4.2
Read and apply the instructions.
Start the "driver" with:
sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6 (YOUR_COUNTRY is USA , I guess, because of bellsouth). If everything goes well this should output the message reporting dynamic creation of ports: /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N , with N some number
DO NOT STOP slmodemd with CTRL-C or the driver will not be active.
Using an other window, the command
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
will detect your modem.
Then   gksudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf    will open /etc/wvdial.conf
for editing.

In lines Username Password Phone , replace the contents of the brackets by what you ISP told you for each, then remove the brackets < and > and the leading semicolumns ;
Finally add anywhere an extra line
Carrier Check = no
Save and exit the editor.

You are ready to launch
sudo wvdial
and you do NOT stop it until you want to stop the activity of the modem.
Remember, CTRL-C in the wvdial window stops the modem session (sort of returns the phone/modem on hook) while CTRL-C in the slmodemd window disables the driver. Of course you can always restart slmodemd .

Jacques

dbrun2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Jacques,
Attached is my new ModemData.txt file. A few days ago when I signed on to the mailing list I was trying to install my modem on Ubuntu 6.10 and then download the upgrades to the OS, but after reading your emails w/Gary about new support for this modem in 7.10, I just re-installed the new version (free w/Linux magazine.) It was a big improvement. At least the scanModem found it this time! I also downloaded the slmodemd and slamr driver package that you recommended for him. Also tried a few commands like: $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf with no success. I need help, please, to decipher exactly what to do in which order. Thank you very much,
Donna