Re: scanModem results

Mark,

Your modem in
PCI bus slot 00:1b.0
is hosted by a HIgh Definition Audio card:
   Class 0403: 8086:27d8 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
      Primary PCI_id  8086:27d8
---------
having on the:
    Subsystem PCI_id  1025:0090
a modem chipset, 0x14f12bfa, a Conexant type

Conexant chipsets are supported under Linux by hsfmodem software
provided by www.Linuxant.com
 Read Conexant.txt

There are remnants at least of a prior hsfmodem installation on your System:
1) The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySHSF0   (the modem port)
2) /etc/udev/rules.d/hsf.rules:KERNEL=="ttySHSF0", SYMLINK="modem"
3) /etc/modprobe.d/hsf:alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF

But scanModem would have reported the hsf* driver family,
if the installation is current and version matched with kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
Thus I suspect that the current installation is in some way defective
or not version matched.
Any driver has to be upgrade when a new kernel is  installed.

Best run:
$ sudo hsfconfig --help
$ sudo hsfconfig --uninstall
but I can't guess how effective it will be without the hsf*  driver set active

Then do a fresh installation:
 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem_7.68.00.07full_k2.6.22_14_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See Testing.txt  for details.

There is good support from:
 "Support (Jonathan)" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.
If you have problems after the fresh installation, run the
$ sudo hsfmodem --diagnose
whose output will be written to /tmp/
and send it to Jonathan,   OK to copy to us too.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer