take a new modem

Dear MarvS,

in my new Computer (2008) I installed
Ubuntu 7.1 (several times) and tried to use
the 56k Intel modem but slmodemd and Conexant
both failed.
Your program scanModem did not find
a serial 33.6K Elsa modem, but Ubuntu
was able to dial with this modem and
to connect to the internet for some seconds,
then connection broke down.

I installed Windows vista, which was not
evan able to dial with one of the modems.

I installed Windows XP Professional,
which also failed to use the modems.
I installed a modem driver, which
was used in 1994 for Windows 3.1 and
also useful in Windows 95.
The setup broke down, but it installed enough,
to connect to the internet now with 33.6K speed.

My question:
I would like to get a new 56k modem.
external or internal, USB or serial, I dont care.
With which modem I would have best chance to
use it with Ubuntu 7.10 ?

Thanks a lot
 Rainer