John Canada Kernal 2.6.22-14-generic

Marv, I must apologize.  I decided to lift the phone in the other room
and could here the modem ringing a number.  I realized this should not
be the case, so I checked the phone number to the ISP.  I had mistakenly
entered the wrong number.  I can only hope the person on the other end
has a forgiving heart, I tried this many times through the night.  OUCH!

Once the number was corrected, I re-edited the wvdial.conf to its
original settings and re-tried, with success.  I am now sending this
email over that connection.

However, I get this timeout message and it drops the line:

WvDial<*1>: Connect time 7.0 minutes.
WvDial<*1>: Disconnecting at Fri Feb 15 13:09:25 2008
WvDial<*1>: The PPP daemon has died: Lack of LCP echo responses (exit code = 15)
WvDial<*1>: man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
WvDial<Notice>: I guess that's it for now, exiting
WvDial<*1>: Provider is overloaded(often the case) or line problem.
WvDial<Notice>: The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 15)
smaknj@Smaknj-Laptop:~$

Thanks for your patience.  You've done a marvellous job getting me
going.

Thanks!

John,

Try an
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +MS=34
if that works try
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +MS=90

The default  +MS=92  compression is Not well implemented at some IPs.
Also should you have a noisy line, lower compression will help.
We have had a report of that curing a manifest "No carrier" problem.

This "No carrier" message may be in some cases a bug.
With my VIA modem, slmodemd supported, there is a "No carrier" message
althrough the CONNECTion and PPPD is established.

MarvS