John Canada Kernal 2.6.22-14-generic

Marv, I must apologize.  I decided to lift the phone in the other room
and could here the modem ringing a number.  I realized this should not
be the case, so I checked the phone number to the ISP.  I had mistakenly
entered the wrong number.  I can only hope the person on the other end
has a forgiving heart, I tried this many times last night.  OUCH!

Once the number was corrected, I re-edited the wvdial.conf to its
original settings and re-tried, with success.  I am now sending this
email over that connection.

HOWEVER. I get this timeout message and it drops the line:

WvDial<*1>: Connect time 7.0 minutes.
WvDial<*1>: Disconnecting at Fri Feb 15 13:09:25 2008
WvDial<*1>: The PPP daemon has died: Lack of LCP echo responses (exit code = 15)
WvDial<*1>: man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
WvDial<Notice>: I guess that's it for now, exiting
WvDial<*1>: Provider is overloaded(often the case) or line problem.
WvDial<Notice>: The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 15)
smaknj@Smaknj-Laptop:~$

I've been playing with the lcp-echo-failure and lcp-echo-interval30 in
the /etc/ppp/options file to enable and disable them, to see if this makes a difference.

I need to know what article to read to automate the slmodemd driver at
boot up.  ALSO, What article will explain how to get the Ubuntu Network manager to invoke wvdial.
I think I'm under the belief that I must only use wvdial in a terminal window rather than the settings
being used in the Ubuntu gui.

Thanks for your patience.  You've done a marvellous job getting me going.