Re: John Canada Kernal 2.6.22-14-generic

John

On the LCP issue, read Jacques PostInstall howto at his
http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/
"man pppd"  explains the error codes, close to the end.
Also /etc/ppp/options  has further info.

I prefer not to automate slmodemd, because the driver occassional dies.
To recover slmodemd must be stopped, the driver unloaded, driver
reloaded, and slmodemd restarted.

But you can install a package sl-modem-daemon, which will do a bootup
setup of slmodemd.
After the installation, again copy in the slmodemd from my
SLMODEMD-4.1 folder, to overwrite an older 2.9.9 version the package
installed.  Check with:
$ slmodemd --version
which should report 2.9.11

With
$ sudo gedit  /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon
change the COUNTRY  USA default to CANADA.
This should manage bootup automation.  Your can also
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon  start, stop or restart

You can try playing with gnomeppp and/or the applet modem-lights, but
I prefer the manual controls, for troubleshooting.

MarvS