Re: croyt, USA, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

Marv --

Thanks for your help.  I've made progress, but the results remain
unstable.  Can you help me configure a reliable GUI interface to my
new linmodem?

Here's what I've done, following your guidance, since my last post:
$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
$ sudo martian_modem --country=us --debug=2 --log=RTlog
$ sudo  wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf

At this point I was able to connect with `wvdial once, but subsequent
attempts sometimes failed.  Also, following "wvdial.txt," I created
"modprobe.d/martian," rebooted, and found the time from power-up to
login screen had gone from 3.7 to 5.7min, as "AgereDSP.txt" warned.
Strangely, that extra boot time persisted even when I then removed
"modprobe.d/martian."  What's going on?  Was that a one-time device
install?

On the first of those boots, I tried `wvdial before connecting the phone
line, and it worked up to the "no dialtone" point.  Then, with the phone
cord plugged, I got: Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Input/output error

Hours of trial and (mostly) error passed.

Finally, with a fresh boot and manual `wvdial, I downloaded and
installed gnome_ppp from packages.ubuntu.com to try a different
approach.  Contrary to what "wvdial.txt" claims, the gnome_ppp interface
ignores both "etc/wvdial.conf" and ".wvdial.rc" in the users home
directory and instead writes its own "wvdial.conf" in the latter
location.  At any rate, I couldn't get it to work.  On two consequitive
tries, I got:

home/crt/.wvdial.conf<Warn>: Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
WvDial<Err>: Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Input/output error

/home/crt/.wvdial.conf<Warn>: Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
WvDial<Err>: Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Device or resource busy

Any clues? I can send you the log(s) from martian_modem startup separately, if that might help. Let me know.

-- Roy