Re: Linux modem problam

Please understand that we cannot teach Linux on this discussion forum.
We are a few volunteers serving a large number of users.
We limit ourselves to trying to serve under Linux modems made for Windows.

Pramuditha Perera wrote:
Hi, I got ur mail. Thanx for ur feedback. Anyway I want to know some
information. First the modem driver file that I installed was said to be not
supported by the uncomprezzing tool.
Am I supposed to know which modem driver file you installed, where you took it from, which uncompressing tool you tried to use, which command you used for that, and with which of Kubuntu or Mandrake did the problem appear?
If you do not write it, how can I know?
Mandrake and Kubuntu do NOT use the same format for system, including drivers, installation. They repectively use DEB and RPM archives.
So what exactly are you asking?

I told you that I replaced "Kubuntu" with "Mandrake 9.14". When I bought my
pc it came with "mandrake 9.14".
Can you please try to explain? I read in this mail that your PC came with Mandrake 9.14 and that you replaced Kubuntu by Mandrake 9.14 ? But in your original message http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg00322.html
you write that your PC came with Windows !!!
What does that mean? Got your PC with Mandrake 9.14? Removed Mandrake and installed Kubuntu? Then removed Kubuntu and reinstalled Mandrake?
And the o/s contains most of my drivers.
Sound card ect. But again in kubuntu my soundcard is not recognized.
This is probably because you did not properly set it up. Am I supposed to know by WHICH PROGRAM is the sound card not recognised? By the sound card setup program or by an application playing music? PLEASE, how can I know?
 I need
to know how I should get the drivers for kubuntu.
Simply from where you installed Kubuntu, probably a CD, but possibly directly from a network repository. How can I know which Kubuntu you installed from which medium???
I have "mandrake" CD. Is
there a way how I can extract files from it?
Extract WHICH files? How can I know? Do you want to run in Kubuntu and then extract from there some files made for Mandrake?? They will not work anyway!
I'm totaly new. Almost no
knowlage on linux. pls help.thanx>
Best help, read a book to learn a minimum of Linux. We will then begin to speak the same language. For people like you I have prepared a Web page which is linked as number 3 in the main page http://linmodems.technion.ac.il

A good way to start is the Cook Book.

If you want to do system work on Linux but do not want to spend any time learning it, find somebody with just a little bit of experience to do it for you.

You can even come to me with your computer and I will install the Linux which you want and all drivers, including modem support.

Are you writing here that you want to use in Kubuntu drivers prepared for Mondrake ? ? ?