Re: modem setup

Jose

you can check out this page for guidance

http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/slmodemd-setup.html

but essentially you need to do the following:
download
from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/  the files

ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz
$ tar -zxvf slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz
$ tar -zxvf ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz
$ cd slmodem-2.9.11-20070813
$ make KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.23.9-85.fc8/build
if something fails you need to install kernel-devel package for 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
$ make
$ su
Password:
# make install
# cd ../ungrab-winmodem-20070505
# make
# make install
# exit
$ su -
Password:
# modprobe ungrab-winmodem
# modprobe slamr
# slmodemd -c USA /dev/slamr0

open another terminal/terminal session
become root
su -
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.coinf
should find your modem
then edit /etc/wvdial.conf with correct username and password.

Report back if you have trouble.

Regards,

Antonio