Re: Hamlet Silver Surfer 56K-V92 USB on Debian Etch

Rodolfo,
Please understand that "Debian Etch" is not very informative.
Without knowing which kernel you have installed, it is a bit difficult to help you.

Furthermore, the SmartLink Web site is not the right place to pick up Linux SmartLink drivers because SmartLink stopped maintaining the drivers while their author maintained them at linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink .

So, alltogether, if you need help, please help US by suppying the information which we know that we need, for which the scanModem utility is made, rather than what you believe to be sufficient. scanModem reports, among others, the kernel and compiler used by your Linux system. Since your former installation had a kernel 2.4.27-x , it is likely that your (newer, I guess) distribution has some 2.6.x kernel, and an other compiler, which are good enough reasons to make the old unmaintained slmodem-2.9.10 fail.
See http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem

Jacques

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Hi, Marvin, Jacques, and happy new year.

Last year I managed to properly configure Debian Sarge for my modem: see the
complete procedure reported at:

 http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=8252

.  I'm trying now with Debian Etch.  I'm having difficulties in installing
slmodem-2.9.10.  Maybe you already know the whole necessary procedure?  Or
shall I run scanmodem and send the output to this list?

Thanks, bye
Rodolfo