edward saal, South Africa, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

Hi
I've now recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. I've been running Microsoft for
approx 24 years, I feel I had enough of it. I like the Linux style and wants
to pursue in that  direction. I am a newy to Linux..

I have a problem installing my modem.
I'm on a dial-up connection and are using a external modem.
MODEM type  = External USB
MAKE             = Sahara 56K USB RP (1)
Product name    = S9100-W
Model no.         = UM9100-W

I am also having difficult to get the printer to work.
PRINTER Make         = Lexmark X2350
Machine Type-model  = 4420-001
USB connection

I've visit the HOWTO sites, changed from PCI to the external hoping it will
work, nothing going.
I'm still unfimiliar with the Linux terminology which make things a bit
difficult to understand.
Please be so kind and show me the way.
I am just running UBUNTU on my P4 machine, to connect to the NET I must use
another machine.

In the MODEM folder I found 2 ModemData.txt files, the one differs by the
period after the extension "ModemData.txt." and the contents read  "Usb
modem PCI ID not recognized"

Thanking you in anticipatation.

Edward (linux newy)