Re: ModemData.txt

Matteo,

Please sign up for LIST membership at www.linmodems.org, so that your
messages don't have to be manually Moderated.

WvDial Modem<*1>: CONNECT 42666 NoEC
reports that your modem and the servers are failing to establish the
common Error Correction agreement (NoEC)

Can you relate what change made enabled recognition of the modem? That
may help with this residual NoEC problem.

Read the attached, ancient info on the NoEC problem.

MarvS

On Dec 20, 2007 4:09 PM, Matteo Mambretti <teo2257@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,
> thanks God something has been changed!!! :-)
> Now the PC recognises the modem, and is able to dial-up... the problem
> is actually that it dials, then the modem communicates with the
> server, then waits... and then disconnect, and I do not know why...
>
> WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
> WvDial<*1>: Initializing modem.
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATX3
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATX3
> WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
> WvDial<*1>: Modem initialized.
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATM1L3DT7027020000
> WvDial<*1>: Waiting for carrier.
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATM1L3DT7027020000
> WvDial Modem<*1>: CONNECT 42666 NoEC
> WvDial<*1>: Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> WvDial<Err>: Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATM1L3DT7027020000
> WvDial<*1>: Waiting for carrier.
> WvDial Modem<*1>: NO CARRIER
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATM1L3DT7027020000
> WvDial<Warn>: No Carrier!  Trying again.
> WvDial<Warn>: Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
> WvDial<*1>: Disconnecting at Thu Dec 20 22:01:43 2007
>
> What shall I do in your opinion?
> Thank you,
> Matteo
>

> 2007/12/20, Oliver Gerlich <olig9@xxxxxx>:
>
> > Matteo,
> >
> > here is a help page for setting up a modem under Ubuntu:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
> >
> > It links to the various subpages where detailed installation and
> > configuration instructions are listed.
> >
> > In your case, you should probably first look at this:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Lucent
> >
> > After that, you should have a look at the various ways to configure the
> > login information; I have no idea which is the best way, so maybe you
> > could just start from the top until you find a way that works and is
> > easy to use :-)
> >
> > Btw. I think the Ubuntu IRC channel is quite useful for getting direct
> > help (faster than by email, anyway). There might not always be real
> > "experts" online, but you can get answers for common questions really quick.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Oliver
> >

> > Matteo Mambretti schrieb:
> > > I tried an even different alternative. I found in a box a very old
> > > internal modem. I mounted it, and... the PC is showing it (see
> > > attached).
> > > But nothing to do: it is NOT anyway working, and wvdialconf does not
> > > find it anyway! :-(
> > >
> > > I am very unhappy with this so difficult software... what shall I do?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Matteo

If a ppp connection if not sustained,
and the output from
# tail -f /var/log/messages &
includes  "NoEC"  and/or a block like:
^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G
^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G
^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G
^G^G^G^

then try adding this line to /etc/ppp/options

asyncmap FFFFFFFF