Re: agere hda in Acer Travelmate 6291

  but when I asked if you did not make a typing error, you answer here:
> No it is not a typo, he needs SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz which does not
 exist in
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

scanModem recommends the package above which does not exist, I simply pointed out what scanModem recommended, I did then look for the file, and it was not there.  I am sorry for causing trouble, but then I tried to fix my mistake by asking the OP Manuel Lemos to compile the slmodem-2.9.11-20070813 with ALSA support in order to connect, he has tried that out, but he has gotten mixed results:

>From a previous post by Manuel
\begin{QUOTE}
I sent him this
>> You can compile slmodem-2.9.11-20070813 with ALSA
>> support
>> from within slmodem-2.9.11-20070813 directory
>> $ cd modem
>> $ make SUPPORT_ALSA=1

Ok, I did that and started the "modem" with:

/usr/sbin/slmodemd --alsa hw:0

It showed this message

symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
modem `hw:0' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'

followed by an infinite number of messages like this:

error: cannot set channels for playback: Invalid argument
\end{QUOTE}

Marv came in also trying to help and asked Manuel to do
\begin{QUOTE}
Manuel

In your initial report there was advised:
  slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6

while you have been testing the host audio card by
 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0

Audio cards are competent to talk with wvdialconf.
But they of course lack the competence to proceed into a dialout.

So try
   slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
\end{QUOTE}

Manuel then forwarded the following:
\begin{QUOTE}
Somethings changes but it is not working yet. Now it is picking
/dev/pts/3. I ran wvdial conf again and the errors appear as follows:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56 (abuild@balli)
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK

--> Modem initialized.
--> Idle Seconds = 300, disabling automatic reconnect.
--> Sending: ATDT30095525
--> Waiting for carrier.
error: period size 48 is not supported by playback (64).
ATDT30095525
NO CARRIER
ERROR
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT30095525
--> Waiting for carrier.
error: period size 48 is not supported by playback (64).
\end{QUOTE}

As of this morning, I have sent this to the list and to Manuel
\begin{QUOTE}
First try to apply patch to slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz and compile
with alsa support or try to

http://helllabs.org/patch/20070710_slmodem/slmodem-2.9.11-alsa-period-size.patch

if it fails recompile alsa + alsa-libs and try to recompile slmodemd
again and hopefully this time you will be successful :)

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-1.0.15.tar.bz2

Also the following is also troublesome take a careful look at this and
do what it is asking you to do.

For candidate card, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:

 PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
 ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
 00:1b.0        8086:27d8       1025:012a       Audio device: Intel
Corporation 82801G

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:

 23:       1894          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   HDA Intel
 --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:1b.0 ----
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

 The PCI slot 00:1b.0 of the modem card may be disabled early in
 a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
 but the  modem is not responsive, read Bootup.txt about possible fixes.
 Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 if help is needed.

Regards,

Antonio
\end{QUOTE}

Jacques, please do not take it personal, I have just replied in an attempt to help Manuel out.  It was not a typo, it was that scanModem recommends SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz and it does not exist in http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
directory.  And I did not know that and it caught me off guard since Manuel replied and I had to check it out for myself and confirm his findings.  I also went back and asked Marv for help in fixing my mistakes and recommendations.  Manuel was using minicom and I asked him to please use wvdial in order to troubleshoot his connection and fix his troubles.  Like most people subscribing to the discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list, I respect you, Marv, Sasha, et, all in your quest to help newbies get connected to the net using Linux.  Please forgive me if I sounded offensive in my replies back to the list.

Kind regards,

Antonio