DaveLiebman, USA Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid kernel 2.6.22-2-686

Dear Sirs,

I am writing you as my modem doesn't work. My laptop is an amd64 machine
but I am running i386 operating system on it (debian/lenny). I HAD alsa
version 1.0.14, and my modem worked then with the debian conexent
hsfmodem package. I THEN upgraded to alsa 1.0.15 from source (I did not
use the package manager as 1.0.15 was not available as a deb at the
time). Then my modem no longer worked, though my audio worked better.

I re-installed the newest hsfmodem package. Then my audio didn't work
and the modem didn't work and the speakers made a noise when I pressed
certian keys on the keyboard, most notably the tab key. Some output from
dmesg follows the rest of this email.

Is there a simple fix for my problem? Thanks in advance,

-Dave Liebman

 Only plain text email is forwarded by the  DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List
Server.
 Do use the following as the email Subject Line:
           SomeName, YourCountry Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid  kernel
2.6.22-2-686
 This will alert cogent experts, and  distinguish cases in the Archives.
 YourCountry will enable Country Code guidance.
 Occassionally responses are blocked by an Internet Provider mail
filters.
 So in a day, also check the Archived responses at
http://www.linmodems.org .
 Local Linux experts can be found through:
http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
--------------------------  System information
----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid
Linux version 2.6.22-2-686 (Debian 2.6.22-4) (waldi@xxxxxxxxxx) (gcc
version 4.1.3 20070812 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-15)) #1 SMP Fri Aug 31
00:24:01 UTC 2007
 scanModem update of:  2007_July_26

ALSAversion 1.0.14
USB modem not detected by lsusb

Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information:

 PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
 ----------	---------	---------	--------------
 00:14.2	1002:4383	1028:01fc	Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB600
Azalia

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
 11:        339    XT-PIC-XT        ohci_hcd:usb1, HDA Intel

 --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:14.2 ----
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:14.2[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11

 === Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
 === Next deducing cogent software ===

1002:4383 is a High Definition Audio card, possibly hosting a soft
modem.
Bootup diagnostics lack ALSA data.
CodecFiles not found
 The NotDetermined is not supported by this kernel.
this is what dmesg | grep snd shows when both alsa 1.0.15 and the
hsfmodem package are installed.
snd_hda_codec: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
snd_hda_codec: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
snd_hda_codec: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_kernel_ioctl
snd_hda_codec: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_kernel_ioctl
snd_hda_codec: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_proc_new
snd_hda_codec: Unknown symbol snd_card_proc_new
snd_hda_codec: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_find_id
snd_hda_codec: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_find_id
... it continues like this ...