From: Jacques Goldberg [mailto:Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:12 AM
To: Robikhun (robihun)
Cc: Linmodems
Subject: Re: slmodemd NO CARRIER error

Robikhun,

The whistles which you hear when starting the modem are the negotiations

about the best speed for the two connected modems.
They do not always succeed, and IN PARTICULAR if for whatever reason any

segment of the telephone line is wireless such as radio instead of cable

to reach small remote areas such as islands.

The difference between the Linux and Windows modem speed setting is most

often due to different driver code.

Jacques