Re: from notebook: benq joybook p52

Dear Marvin,

thank you for sending me instructions and for offering possibility to get support.

I followed all instructions carefully:

1. Downloaded recommended package.
2. Unpacked it.
3. Changed mode for slmodemd (chmod a+x slmodemd)
4. Copied file to sbin/ directory (sudo cp slmodemd /usr/sbin/)
5. Launched daemon. The output was:

dryu@joybook:~$ sudo slmodemd -c RUSSIA --alsa hw:0,6
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Aug  6 2007 22:02:27
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
modem `hw:0,6' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

Assuming that modem configuration is finished, I tried to setup dialup connection using pppconfig, by supplying it with new modem device. Autodetection of modem device returned no results, so I typed modem port manually: /dev/ttySL0 and saved settings for my dialup connection. Unfortunately, when launching my connection, I get the following output in terminal window where slmodemd was executed:

error: cannot setup hw params for playback: Invalid argument

Modem didn't show signs of life also.

Is it possible to test my modem to make sure it is properly configured after slmodemd was launched? Anyway, I would like to express you my appreciation for possibility to get support for Linux newbies - thank you very much.

-A