Re: Craig, Ireland, Ubuntu 7.04 kernel 2.6.20-15-generic

Craig,

Under
CPU=i686,  Ubuntu 7.04
Linux version 2.6.20-15-generic, gcc version 4.1.2
ALSAversion 1.0.13

PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
----------	---------	---------	--------------
00:1f.6	8086:24c6	1014:0524	Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM

     Primary PCI_id  8086:24c6
   Subsystem PCI_id  1014:0524
   Softmodem codec  from  Archives: SIL27, an AgereSystems type.

The ALSA modem driver will be snd-intel8x0m
Check if it autoloads with
$ lsmod | grep  intel8x0m

To load if manually:
$ sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m
Check afterward for loading with:
$ lsmod | grep  intel8x0m
to display snd-intel8x0m and its dependent modules.

If it doesn't autoload, add it to  /etc/modules using:
$ sudo gedit /etc/modules

Most of the smarts is provided by a slmodemd helper.
Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
the package SLMODEMD-1.0.13.tar.gz . Unpack under Linux with:
       $ tar zxf SL*.tar.gz
and read instructions in the SLMODEMD-1.0.13/ folder

But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
       sudo slmodemd -c IRELAND --alsa modem:1
reporting dynamic creation of ports when successful:
       /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
Read the enclosed Smartlink.txt for details.

Unfortunately the modem will be dead until you can correct:
[   50.369457] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1f.6 disabled
which is probable due to too much sharing at :

Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
11:      55745    XT-PIC-XT        uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2,
uhci_hcd:usb3, ehci_hcd:usb4, eth0, yenta, yenta, eth1, Intel
82801DB-ICH4, radeon@pci:0000:01:00.0

Read the Bootup.txt about options to correct this situation
Disabling the ethernet functions under:
System > Admin > Network
may help.
Also detach any USB devices and take out any PCMCIA cards while trying
to get the modem working.

Just rerun
$ sudo ./scanModem
to check the effectiveness of your change

MarvS
scanModem maintainer