scanModem, Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586

Hi
It's my 2nd attempt to get a winmodem working with linux.

I bought a (2nd hand) USB PCI modem that came with Linux drivers on CD. I put the modem in my box and connected it using the same cable I use for my successful Windows dialup.

During reboot, as devices are being recognised, I get a long pause then

failed to activate ppp0 with error 8

OK that doesn't sound too good. Anyway, I carried on to Linux prompt, and unpacked the .tar.gz that contained the drivers. This unpacked to a perl script and a lot of .o files. (no INSTALL file). at the top of the perl script called hsf-install it says

"The program handles on finding the modem PCI-ID on the PCI file and installing it by the config of the INF file. eg hsf-install /root/modems56k"

I don't understand that, so I don't know what to give hsf-install as a parameter.

I'm reading the modems chapter in Linux System Administration by Craig Hunt linux library but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime then thanks,

dave