RE: BrianVoss, Canada Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

Firas,

When I tried to install the packages containing the C compiler and my kernel
headers, per your first instruction, there was a failed attempt to make a
connection to http://security/ubuntu... then a message

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --
fix missing?

After reading the message from MarvS I decided to try the rest of your
instructions, assuming the compiler and headers were already in place. Your
instructions worked fine! I had to add the Carrier Check = no line in
wvdial.conf, otherwise the connection hung.

So thank you for that help.

Now I have more questions: 1. There were a number of commands used in your
instructions, some of which I don't know (mv, tar xjvf, tar xzvf, depmod -a,
modrobe, martian_modem) - is there somewhere I should look to learn more
about these?

2. It appears I have to open 2 terminals, sudo martian_modem in one and sudo
wvdial in the other, to establish and maintain a connection. When I try to
use kppp it finds the modem busy, so I can't use kppp. Is there a more
elgant way to deal with connections?

3. Is there a way to determine the baudrate of the connection? I use a 56k
modem on the WinXP machine and it typically informs me the connection speed
is 31.2 kbs, so I'd like to know if I'm getting something similar on the
Ubuntu machine.

4. Back to the original issue. I am a complete novice, but I like to
understand as much as possible what is happening when I issue instructions.
Linux seems to be robust and tolerant of the things I have done so far, but
I fear breaking the system if I keep doing things per instructions without
really understanding what is going on. Is there somewhere to get a grounding
in the system?

You may not have time to answer these questions. I appreciate the help you
provided so far.

Thanks, Brian.

-----

MarvS,

I didn't try to send the martian.txt file to you, because things seem to be
working. Also, I wasn't quite clear what to do: Which directory should I be
in when issueing the commands? Won't issueing 'make clean' wipe the work
that has already been done? What does 'make  2>&1  |  tee martian.txt' mean?

Thanks, Brian