Re: BrianVoss, Canada Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

Brian

To compile stuff on Ubuntu, you neet to install the packages containin the C
compiler and your kernel headers.

	$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Don't worry, you won't need to go online to get those packagesn the'yre on
your Ubuntu CD. Then download those two files in Windows and copy them on
your desktop in Ubuntu :

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-20061203.tar.bz2
http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-full-20061203.tar.gz

Then, in Ubuntu, open a terminal and do the following (be careful not to make
typos !) :

	$ cd
	$ mkdir modem
	$ mkdir modem/tmp
	$ mv Desktop/martian* modem
	$ cd modem
	$ tar xjvf martian-20061203.tar.bz2
	$ tar xzvf martian-full-20061203.tar.gz -C tmp
	$ cd martian
	$ cp ../tmp/martian/modem/ltmdmobj.o modem
	$ make clean
	$ make
	$ sudo make install
	$ sudo depmod -a
	$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
	$ sudo martian_modem

The daemon for your modem should run in the current terminal window so you'll
perhaps need to open another one here. Next, we're going to configure it with
wvdial, first make sure it's installed :

	$ sudo apt-get install wvdial

Then run the configuration utility :

	$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

And edit the config file to fill in your ISPs phone number as well as your
login and password :

	$ sudo nano -w /etc/wvdial.conf

When you're done editing, save the file (Ctrl+O, Enter to confirm) and exit
nano (Ctrl+X). You should then be able to dial with :

	$ sudo wvdial

Good luck, feel free to write back if you face problems.

Firas.