Re: BrianVoss, Canada Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

Brian
Re: Which directory should I be in when issuing "make" commandsThe folder with the code being compiled
Re: Won't issueing 'make clean' wipe the work that has already been done?Exactly.  Always cleanup debris from a failed trial up previouscompile before trying again.
Re:   What does 'make  2>&1  |  tee martian.txt' mean?The 2>&1 just provides for passing though WARNING messages as well asOrdinary messages.The   |   just pipes output to the next process, "tee"  in this case.
The "tee" means write the output to a file, martian.txt in this case,which also writing the output to the screen.
With respect to the other tar commands etc. , info on any COMMAND canbe delivered by:$ COMMAND  --helpand$ man COMMANDand$ info  COMMANDAlso you could get any beginners book on Linux which will explainCOMMAND syntax in less dense language.
MarvS

On 5/11/07, Brian Voss <bevoss@xxxxxxxx> wrote:> Firas,>> When I tried to install the packages containing the C compiler and my kernel> headers, per your first instruction, there was a failed attempt to make a> connection to http://security/ubuntu... then a message>> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --> fix missing?>> After reading the message from MarvS I decided to try the rest of your> instructions, assuming the compiler and headers were already in place. Your> instructions worked fine! I had to add the Carrier Check = no line in> wvdial.conf, otherwise the connection hung.>> So thank you for that help.>> Now I have more questions: 1. There were a number of commands used in your> instructions, some of which I don't know (mv, tar xjvf, tar xzvf, depmod -a,> modrobe, martian_modem) - is there somewhere I should look to learn more> about these?>> 2. It appears I have to open 2 terminals, sudo martian_modem in one and sudo> wvdial in the other, to establish and maintain a connection. When I try to> use kppp it finds the modem busy, so I can't use kppp. Is there a more> elgant way to deal with connections?>> 3. Is there a way to determine the baudrate of the connection? I use a 56k> modem on the WinXP machine and it typically informs me the connection speed> is 31.2 kbs, so I'd like to know if I'm getting something similar on the> Ubuntu machine.>> 4. Back to the original issue. I am a complete novice, but I like to> understand as much as possible what is happening when I issue instructions.> Linux seems to be robust and tolerant of the things I have done so far, but> I fear breaking the system if I keep doing things per instructions without> really understanding what is going on. Is there somewhere to get a grounding> in the system?>> You may not have time to answer these questions. I appreciate the help you> provided so far.>> Thanks, Brian.>> ----->> MarvS,>> I didn't try to send the martian.txt file to you, because things seem to be> working. Also, I wasn't quite clear what to do: Which directory should I be> in when issueing the commands? Won't issueing 'make clean' wipe the work> that has already been done? What does 'make  2>&1  |  tee martian.txt' mean?>> Thanks, Brian>> -----Original Message-----> From: Firas Kraïem [mailto:fkraiem@xxxxxxx]> Sent: May 10, 2007 3:53 PM> To: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: Brian Voss> Subject: Re: BrianVoss, Canada Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10-generic>>> Brian>> To compile stuff on Ubuntu, you neet to install the packages containin the C> compiler and your kernel headers.>>         $ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)>> Don't worry, you won't need to go online to get those packagesn the'yre on> your Ubuntu CD. Then download those two files in Windows and copy them on> your desktop in Ubuntu :>> http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/ma> rtian-20061203.tar.bz2> http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/ma> rtian-full-20061203.tar.gz>> Then, in Ubuntu, open a terminal and do the following (be careful not to> make> typos !) :>>         $ cd>         $ mkdir modem>         $ mkdir modem/tmp>         $ mv Desktop/martian* modem>         $ cd modem>         $ tar xjvf martian-20061203.tar.bz2>         $ tar xzvf martian-full-20061203.tar.gz -C tmp>         $ cd martian>         $ cp ../tmp/martian/modem/ltmdmobj.o modem>         $ make clean>         $ make>         $ sudo make install>         $ sudo depmod -a>         $ sudo modprobe martian_dev>         $ sudo martian_modem>> The daemon for your modem should run in the current terminal window so> you'll> perhaps need to open another one here. Next, we're going to configure it> with> wvdial, first make sure it's installed :>>         $ sudo apt-get install wvdial>> Then run the configuration utility :>>         $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf>> And edit the config file to fill in your ISPs phone number as well as your> login and password :>>         $ sudo nano -w /etc/wvdial.conf>> When you're done editing, save the file (Ctrl+O, Enter to confirm) and exit> nano (Ctrl+X). You should then be able to dial with :>>         $ sudo wvdial>> Good luck, feel free to write back if you face problems.>> Firas.>>> On Thursday 10 May 2007 04:24:05 Brian Voss wrote:> > I am new to linux and the instructions in DriverCompiling are beyond me.> >> > I have run scanModem and read all the files in Modem. I then installed the> > package lib6-dev and its dependencies, following instructions in AgereDSP.> > I downloaded martian-full-20060727.tar.gz, per instructions in ModemData> > and AgereDSP. I unzipped this to produce a folder called 164x. I changed> > directories to the 164x folder, ran make clean, which seemed to work, then> > make, which did not seem to work and produced multiple warnings.> >> > I have read DriverCompiling repeatedly, but my limited understanding of> the> > linux system is not enough to allow me to progress further.> >> > That brings me back to using a WinXP machine to send this email and ask> for> > help for a raw novice!> >> > Thank you, Brian>>>> --> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments>>>