Re: Fiona, SLMODEMD, UK Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-11-generic

Thanks for the quick reply Jacques!

> No further info appears because at this time you just need NOT TOUCH THE
> WINDOW, but start running any network application, for example browing.
>
> Now you will possibly need a small adjustment.
> Please open your browser and try to open the URL (Web page if you like)
> http://www.google.com
> If it works, you are all set.

I couldn't make a connection to any sites by browser, or connect to my email server.

> If the browser says that it cannot find this Web page (server), repeat
> with  http://216.239.59.147  which is a numeric address for Google.

Replacing the url name with IP address didn't work

> It it works, then please edit your file /etc/wvdial.conf,
> by this occasion remove the useless and threatening Stupid Mode = on
> and add one line
> Auto DNS = 1

I made these changes and re-tested - but it didn't make any improvement

> You must of course stop wvdial and start it agin for this modification
> to become effective.

I also restarted my laptop in case that helped and double checked the changes to wvdial.conf had been saved - but still no luck.

Regards,

Fiona