Re: Fiona, SLMODEMD, UK Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-11-generic

Fiona,

Would you please type the few following commands exactly as shown? They will write a file arbitrarily named Fiona.txt and likewise a second file Fiona.aux . After having run the commands please edit the file Fiona.txt to hide username and password. Then send us that file. Just in case: what you see in the commands below as | is the vertical bar, usually cut into two pieces on keyboards. With US keyboards this is generally above the \ (backslash) key. First, please bring slmodemd to working condition (i.e. activate slmodemd) in one window.
Next, in a second window, start wvdial with command:

sudo wvdial | tee Fiona.aux

If you do not reach the point where you see CONNECT on the screen, try to restart. The following assumes that the connection has been established as in the second attempt in your report yesterday.
If you cannot reach that point, all the following is irrelevant.

Then, in a third window, execute all the following commands:

sudo echo CONF  | tee Fiona.txt
sudo cat /etc/wvdial.conf >> Fiona.txt
sudo echo PS| tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo ps ax | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo echo LSMOD | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo lsmod | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo echo NETWORK  | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo /sbin/ifconfig  | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo /sbin/route -n  | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo echo TRY ACCESS | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf >> Fiona.txt
sudo telnet 66.249.93.147 25  | tee -a Fiona.txt

If this last command works, the screen will look like having fallen asleep. Hit ] while holding the CTRL key pressed to wake it up.
Then type   quit   to return to your normal prompt.
Then stop wvdial using CTRL-C
and then finally:

sudo echo WVDIALLOG  | tee -a Fiona.txt
sudo cat Fiona.aux >> Fiona.txt

Jacques

Fiona James wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Jacques!

 > No further info appears because at this time you just need NOT TOUCH THE
 > WINDOW, but start running any network application, for example browing.
 >
 > Now you will possibly need a small adjustment.
 > Please open your browser and try to open the URL (Web page if you like)
 > http://www.google.com
 > If it works, you are all set.

I couldn't make a connection to any sites by browser, or connect to my email server.

 > If the browser says that it cannot find this Web page (server), repeat
 > with  http://216.239.59.147  which is a numeric address for Google.

Replacing the url name with IP address didn't work

 > It it works, then please edit your file /etc/wvdial.conf,
 > by this occasion remove the useless and threatening Stupid Mode = on
 > and add one line
 > Auto DNS = 1

I made these changes and re-tested - but it didn't make any improvement

 > You must of course stop wvdial and start it agin for this modification
 > to become effective.

I also restarted my laptop in case that helped and double checked the changes to wvdial.conf had been saved - but still no luck.

Regards,

Fiona