Re: Gerry Stannett Country USA Ubuntu 6.10 kernel

Gerry,

-ModemData.txt reported below must be incomplete as it does not say which software you need for your modem.
-What do you mean by "appears to be correctly installed?
-Did you use the file Intel.txt to perform your installation?
-Which software did you install? I mean, which driver file taken from where?

So, what to do next?
-Check that you have installed driver file intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007.tgz
to exclusively be downloaded from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/
-If you did not, remove whatever driver you installed and install the one just quoted. Since file readme.txt (with installation instructions) is packed with the archive, in the folder where you stored intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007.tgz
type commmands:
tar zxf intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007.tgz
cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007
and read readme.txt
-At least to debug the installation, leave away kppp and use
wvdial (I use it at all times, never needed kppp whose messages are inexistent or obscure). Sequence:

sudo lsmod | grep -i intel
should show the driver intel536.ko or similar. Msy need /sbin/lsmod instead of lsmod (I am not Ubuntian).

sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
should report having found a modem

Edit file /etc/wvdial.conf for three lines:
username
password
phone number
For these three lines, remove leading ; , remove containers < >, replace contents of container by actual values given by your ISP.

sudo wvdial
should get you connected.

If there is a problem, please describe what you did with ALL details step by step from THE BEGINNING, and then report the exact problem with all error messages.

Jacques
Gerry & Marion Stannett wrote:
Hi Guys,
Responding to your email :
Here is a type written copy of the out-put from ModemData.text for your consideration. A couple of points to be noted : The intel536EP modem driver installed with text book simplicity from the commands and appears to be correctly installed.Queery modem (KPPP Tool) returns a busy signal on most ports selected - some return (Unable to find Modem, is it being used by another program). I have tried to find out if the driver is being loaded at boot,or being loaded twice by either the pre-installed drivers or the driver I installed but I have yet to find an acceptable command line that opens the file - given up trying for the moment !!
Operating system installed Kbuntu 6.10

CPU=i686,   Ubuntu 6.10.
Linux version 2.6.17-10-generic (root@vernadsky) (gcc version 4.1.2.20060928 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1.13ubuntu5)) #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006
(Ubuntu 2.6.17-10.33-generic)
scanModem update of: 2007_Jan_22 USB modem not detected by lsusb Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information: PCI slot. PCI ID. SubsystemID. Name

02:09.0.    8086:1040.    8086:1000.
Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
9:    1  I0-APIC-level acpi
---Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 02:09.0
Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section,
Next deducing cogent software
For candidate modem in PCI bus:  02:09.0
Class 0780: 8086:1040 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
   Primary PCI_id 8086:1040
Support type needed or chipset:      INTEL536EP
Writing Intel.txt
Completed candidate modem analyses.
The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.1.2 ans the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.1.2

Compiling resources appear complete:
make utility - /usr/bin/make
Compiler version 4.1
kernel_headers base folder
/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build

Checking pppd properties:
   -rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 260920 2006-07-10 12:13
   /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of: /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
auth crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

Checking for modem support lines:

   /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
   Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:# Create /dev/modem
symlink
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:KERNEL=="ttyLTM(0-9)*".. . . SYMLINK+="modem"
   Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-via82xx-modem index=2
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist
snd-via82xx-modem
   Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
   Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

end modem support lines

If you require any other information I will be happy to forward it along. I really appreciate any help you can give me in resolving this connection problem.
Thank you
Gerry Stannett
gamstan1@xxxxxxxxxxxx