Gerry Stannett Country USA Ubuntu 6.10 kernel

Hi Guys,
Responding to your email :
Here is a type written copy of the out-put from ModemData.text for your consideration. A couple of points to be noted : The intel536EP modem driver installed with text book simplicity from the commands and appears to be correctly installed.Queery modem (KPPP Tool) returns a busy signal on most ports selected - some return (Unable to find Modem, is it being used by another program). I have tried to find out if the driver is being loaded at boot,or being loaded twice by either the pre-installed drivers or the driver I installed but I have yet to find an acceptable command line that opens the file - given up trying for the moment !!
Operating system installed Kbuntu 6.10

CPU=i686,   Ubuntu 6.10.
Linux version 2.6.17-10-generic (root@vernadsky) (gcc version 4.1.2.20060928 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1.13ubuntu5)) #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006
(Ubuntu 2.6.17-10.33-generic)
scanModem update of: 2007_Jan_22 USB modem not detected by lsusb Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information: PCI slot. PCI ID. SubsystemID. Name

02:09.0.    8086:1040.    8086:1000.
Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
9:    1  I0-APIC-level acpi
---Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 02:09.0
Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section,
Next deducing cogent software
For candidate modem in PCI bus:  02:09.0
Class 0780: 8086:1040 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
   Primary PCI_id 8086:1040
Support type needed or chipset:      INTEL536EP
Writing Intel.txt
Completed candidate modem analyses.
The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.1.2 ans the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.1.2

Compiling resources appear complete:
make utility - /usr/bin/make
Compiler version 4.1
kernel_headers base folder
/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build

Checking pppd properties:
   -rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 260920 2006-07-10 12:13
   /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of: /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
auth crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

Checking for modem support lines:

   /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
   Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:# Create /dev/modem
symlink
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:KERNEL=="ttyLTM(0-9)*".. . . SYMLINK+="modem"
   Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-via82xx-modem index=2
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist
snd-via82xx-modem
   Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
   Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

end modem support lines

If you require any other information I will be happy to forward it along. I really appreciate any help you can give me in resolving this connection problem.
Thank you
Gerry Stannett
gamstan1@xxxxxxxxxxxx