Re: Hi from Athens Greece

Ignore the prior message accidentally sent.

Syros
  >          slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
was a default which will not work for your particular:
 For candidate modem in PCI bus:  0000:00:1b.0
   Class 0403: 8086:27d8 Class 0403: Intel
Corporation I/O Controller Hub High Definition Audio
      Primary PCI_id  8086:27d8
    Subsystem PCI_id  1179:ff10
    Softmodem codec or Vendor from diagnostics:
                              from    Archives:
11c1, an AgereSystems type.

This response:
      /proc/asound/modules
-------------------------------
0 snd_hda_intel
and from the command:
      aplay -l | grep -i modem
is a failure for lack of a modem line.  Likely your ALSA drivers need an update.
Wait, when I'm back home in a week I'll help.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer

On 12/30/06, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem
driver:
snd-intel8x0m
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the
modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem
software)
 complementary High Level support is through a
Smartlink utility:
slmodemd

 Download from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem
is setup with
command:
         slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for
follow through
guidance.

Regards,

Antonio

--- Spyros Papaspyrou <spyros_papaspyrou@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Dear sir, madam,
>
> I am trying to configure my modem which is a
> winmodem,
> i didn't had a clue that it would get down to
> winmodems with modems :( Anyway i live in Athens
> Greece and i am new  2 Linux - but i am learning
> fast.
> I use SuSE 9.3 with Gnome desktop.
> Can you please help me configure my modem so i can
> connect to the Internet eventually.
> Please fell free to ask any questions about my OS; i
> would also be happy to answer any configuration
> questions  whatsoever, please help.
> Yours
> Spyros
> Ps: attachment is MODEMDATA.txt
> ;)

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com >  Only plain text
email is forwarded by the
> [...]
> ----------------------------
>
> Welcome to SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586) - Kernel
> Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.10-smp (geeko@buildhost)
> (gcc version 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE
> Linux)) #1 SMP Tue Nov 29 14:32:49 UTC 2005
>  scanModem update of:  2006_December_25
>

> USB modem not detected by lsusb
>
> Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware
> information:
>
>  PCI slot     PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
>  ----------   ---------       ---------       --------------
>  0000:00:1b.0 8086:27d8       1179:ff10       Class 0403: Intel
> Corporation I/O Controller Hub High Definition Audio
>

>  Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
> 193:       5650          0   IO-APIC-level  HDA
> Intel
>
>  --- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot
> 0000:00:1b.0 ----
> PCI->APIC IRQ transform: 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> IRQ 193
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to
> 64
>
>  === Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics
> section. ===
>  === Next deducing cogent software ===
>
>  For candidate modem in PCI bus:  0000:00:1b.0
>    Class 0403: 8086:27d8 Class 0403: Intel
> Corporation I/O Controller Hub High Definition Audio
>       Primary PCI_id  8086:27d8
>     Subsystem PCI_id  1179:ff10
>     Softmodem codec or Vendor from diagnostics:
>                               from    Archives:
> 11c1, an AgereSystems type.
>

>  Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the
> modem is a software
>  intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary
> controller manages the traffic
>  with the CPU. But the software needed is specified
> in the Subsystem.
>  -----------------------------------------
> Support type needed or chipset:       slmodemd
>
>  An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem
> driver:  snd-intel8x0m
>  provides Low Level support enabling contact with
> the modem hardware.
>  For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using
> hsfmodem software)
>  complementary High Level support is through a
> Smartlink utility:  slmodemd
>
>  Download from
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
>  the package SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz having a compiled
> slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
>       $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz
>  and read instructions therein. But briefly, the
> modem is setup with command:
>        slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
>  reporting dynamic creation of ports:
>       /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
>  Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for
> follow through guidance.
>
>  Already loaded into the kernel is snd-intel8x0m and
> audio drivers it depends on,
>  displayed by:        lsmod | grep snd_intel8x0m
> Module                  Size  Used by
> -------------------------------------
> snd_intel8x0m          23236  0
> snd_ac97_codec         84476  1 snd_intel8x0m

snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> snd                    70788  13

snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>       $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>          chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>        chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>
> Checking settings of: /etc/ppp/options
> noipdefault
> noauth
> crtscts
> lock
> modem
> asyncmap 0
> nodetach
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4
> lcp-max-configure 60
> lcp-restart 2
> idle 600
> noipx
> file /etc/ppp/filters
>
> Read Modem/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM
> channels: eth0
> Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.
>
>  Don't worry about the following, it is for the
> experts
>  should trouble shooting be necessary.

>  Checking for modem support lines:
>  --------------------------------------
>      /device/modem symbolic link:
> slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
>      Within /etc/udev/ files:
> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:# 219 =
> /dev/modems/mwave MWave modem firmware upload
> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL="mwave",
> NAME="modems/%k"
> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL="hfmodem*",
> NAME="%k", MODE="600"

/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL="modems/mwave*",
> NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp", MODE="660"
>      Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> /etc/modprobe.conf:# Linux ACP modem (Mwave)

=== message truncated ===