Re: help on winmodem

Maurizio,
After this, quoted from your mail:
BEGIN QUOTE
> detected; then I digit:
>
> $ sudo slmodemd --alsa -c ITALY hw:1
>
> ...and this message appears:
>
> SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Mar 13 2006 18:27:33
> symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
> modem `hw:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
> Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

END QUOTE

have you left slmodemd running in its window and then started pppconfig etc in an other window?

If you have stopped slmodemd then the driver slmodemd dissapeared from memory and nothing can work.

Next, I strongly recommend that you solve problems one at a time.
Trust me, leave pppconfig away.
You tried wvdial: but have you run
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
first?
This is what you should, ALWAYS WITH slmodemd RUNNING IN A SEPARATE WINDOW.
wvdialconf will find your modem and prepare the file /etc/wvdial.conf in which you need to edit as follows:
-remove the leading ; in lines username, password, phone
-replace the <blabla> right side of these lines by the good value without the < >
-if missing, add a line
Carrier Check = no
and save

Then, just run    sudo wvdial
wvdial will do the rest for you: let it handle pppconfig for you.

Jacques

Maurizio Berni wrote:
Thank you very much for your attention. I don't know what's going wrong: here is a copy of messages.

I digit first:

$ sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m

A message appears on the right-bottom which tells that a modem has been detected; then I digit:

$ sudo slmodemd --alsa -c ITALY hw:1

...and this message appears:

SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Mar 13 2006 18:27:33
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
modem `hw:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

... then I run pppconfig

berni@berni:~$ sudo pppconfig

... and by hand I put "/dev/pts/1" as modem device; then I run pon:

berni@berni:~$ pon

...and the answer is:

/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option '/dev/pts/1'

...then I run wvdial in order to try something else different:

berni@berni:~$ wvdial

...the answer is:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.55
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: No such file or directory
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: No such file or directory
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: No such file or directory
berni@berni:~$

Thanks - Maurizio.

Jacques Goldberg ha scritto:
Maurizio,
Since what you have to do is so clearly written in ModemData.txt:
BEGIN QUOTE
Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
     $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz
and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
     sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
    /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

Already loaded into the kernel is snd-intel8x0m and audio drivers it depends on,
 displayed by:    lsmod | grep snd_intel8x0m
END QUOTE,

including the remark that you even do not need to care for module snd-intel8x0m because it is already loaded,

I would be grateful to you if you could specify what went wrong in applying these instructions.

Thanks - Jacques