Re: help on winmodem

Jacques, I realize that I just did what you told: I did close slmodemd before configuring wvdial...

Now I followed your instructions and a new step has been reached.

Modem is recognized, and wvdial seems to work, but...

afeter a few seconds the line gives up; here are the messages given by wvdial:

"$ sudo wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.55
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +MS=34
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +MS=34
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT7023456789
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT7023456789
NO DIALTONE
--> No dial tone.
--> Disconnecting at Wed Dec 27 17:12:48 2006
"

Many Thanks.

Maurizio.

Jacques Goldberg ha scritto:
Maurizio,
After this, quoted from your mail:
BEGIN QUOTE
 > detected; then I digit:
 >
 > $ sudo slmodemd --alsa -c ITALY hw:1
 >
 > ...and this message appears:
 >
 > SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Mar 13 2006 18:27:33
 > symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/1' created.
 > modem `hw:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/1'
 > Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

END QUOTE

have you left slmodemd running in its window and then started pppconfig etc in an other window?

If you have stopped slmodemd then the driver slmodemd dissapeared from memory and nothing can work.

Next, I strongly recommend that you solve problems one at a time.
Trust me, leave pppconfig away.
You tried wvdial: but have you run
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
first?
This is what you should, ALWAYS WITH slmodemd RUNNING IN A SEPARATE WINDOW.
wvdialconf will find your modem and prepare the file /etc/wvdial.conf in which you need to edit as follows:
-remove the leading ; in lines username, password, phone
-replace the <blabla> right side of these lines by the good value without the < >
-if missing, add a line
Carrier Check = no
and save

Then, just run    sudo wvdial
wvdial will do the rest for you: let it handle pppconfig for you.

Jacques