Re: How to write OOXML attribute 'vert' of <bodyPr> element to ODF?

Hi Regina,

> I found that I was confused with the name "loext:text-direction", and
> connected it to writing-mode. > In different context direction may mean writing direction in Bidi text,
> as in [1].

You are right, the name is indeed misleading, probably
"loext:text-vertical" is better?

I was thinking text-orientation, but I found it has different meaning some where ( see below. )
Naming is hard. :-) Apology for not being able to give useful advice on this.

> Is that new "loext:text-direction" attribute only intended to rotate
> text for RL_TB writing mode?
> ( wordArtVert and wordArtVertRtl should also be excluded in that case? )

"wordArtVer" and "wordArtVertRtl" would be included in principle. But
both are not yet implemented.

I am not sure if I should go this way at all. My knowledge is enough to
extend the "extended-geometry" with an additional attribute for "vert"
and "vert270". And it can be extended to the values "wordArtVert" and
"wordArtVertRtl" if that is implemented. However, another option would
be to enable the text in shapes to use WritingMode2 and extend its
values similar to the current loext:writing-mode="bt-lr". This looks
better to me for future development. Only I certainly need help for the
implementation.

The real use cases might be mixed depending on content,
as described in CJK text layout requirement[1]:
Western text keeps upright as CJK text for single alphabet, digit, or abbreviation ( ex, GDP ).
Western text rotated 90 degrees for numbers more than 4 digits, longer phrases, or sentences.
There is a CSS property called text-orientation[2].

Since you're mapping ooxml values to CustomGeometry property, I guess it's not wrong to include them.

[1]https://www.w3.org/TR/clreq/#mixed_text_composition_in_vertical_writing_mode
[2]https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-orientation

Kind regards,
Regina