Ingress traffic shape per IP

Hi all,
I'm intrigued by a recent thread with a similar subject on the
netfilter list [1].  Why is tc not recommended for ingress shaping?

I use a netfilter utility that queries a local DB and drops packets
according to a probability stored there.  It works well for dictionary
attacks, as each login failure doubles the probability of being
blocked (which then decays slowly with time).  However, that is less
suited for spammers, who I don't want to block completely for a long
period of time --in case they have some ham too.

Currently, I only nqueue new connections to that filter, as its random
blocking leaves something to be desired.  I'd better send
spam-connections to a consistently slow tc class instead.  The idea is
to mark new connections when they are accepted and have tc play its
magic afterwards.  Can tc do that?

TIA for any suggestion
Ale
--