Re: Why are my cburst settings ignored?

Andrew Beverley wrote:
On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 19:33 +0200, maillinglistredcap@xxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Andrew and Andy,

You're welcome.

Just out of curiosity, how is traffic handled that isn't assigned to any class
in the qdisc tree when you do not specify a default class? My assumptions was
that such pakets are simply be dropped, which is why I also shaped lan traffic.

AFAIK it just bypasses the whole of the qdisc and therefore goes through
the networking system completely unaffected. In the case of local LAN
traffic that you don't want to shape (which is not affected by any
associated bandwidth constraints) you can therefore keep it out of the
qdisc completely (although make sure you're not accidentally capturing
it with a "default" parameter).

Yea, though it's still counted by HTB.

I should really specify "just for HTB" whenever I go on about not using default and arp.

HFSC is the opposite and does drop unclassified - so you really need a default, or to be careful to make sure arp is classified.