Re: Why are my cburst settings ignored?

Thanks Andrew and Andy,

after I read your suggestions I made some changes to my setup. Specifically, I
changed to rate settings on the root of the class tree to take traffic overhead
into account. I also lowered the rate in the 1:11 node to make sure that traffic
is shaped by my machine and not by the router. Well, as it turned out this
lead to much improved performance. So, thanks again :-).

> In fact when I shaped for slow wan on eth I didn't bother including lan
> traffic - if your lan is not maxed a lot then I would just use default 0
> (or not specify default) and only classify wan traffic to htb so lan/arp
> isn't shaped at all.

Just out of curiosity, how is traffic handled that isn't assigned to any class
in the qdisc tree when you do not specify a default class? My assumptions was
that such pakets are simply be dropped, which is why I also shaped lan traffic.