Re: Unable to set various tos values (RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument)

On 08/31/12 09:42 am, Lewis G Rosenthal thus wrote :
> Greetings, all...
>
> I sent this last month, but didn't see it actually come through to the list (it was my first post, so perhaps it was a timing issue with MailMan). Anyway, here goes:
>
> This is my first post to the list, and indeed, while I'm a networking professional, this is the first time I've needed to get involved this deeply with Linux routing issues (I'm mainly a NetWare - now general Novell - and OS/2 - now eComStation consultant).
>
> Am having some difficulty getting the kernel to accept various ToS values which should be legal (this is under openSuSE 12.1, using 3.1.10 kernel and iproute2 2.6.39). For example:
>
> #ip rule add tos 0x20 table mytable
> RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
>
> It seems that all of the (original) ToS values work, so I thought that it was just DSCP values which didn't. However, 0x0c works without complaint. It has been suggested to me that only 4-bit values are acceptable and 8-bit ones are not.
>
> Could some kind soul point me in the right direction, please?
>
> Many thanks!

Bump... Any thoughts on the above? The client for whom I need to get
this working is after me to find a fix. Can anyone confirm this
difficulty, or suggest what I may be missing in the current setup?

TIA

PS - And thanks again to everyone who sent me email off-list with
suggestions for my other thread (where to store persistent route/rule
commands). Much appreciated!!

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS