Unable to set various tos values (RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument)

Greetings, all...

I sent this last month, but didn;t see it actually come through to the list (it was my first post, so perhaps it was a timing issue with MailMan). Anyway, here goes:

This is my first post to the list, and indeed, while I'm a networking professional, this is the first time I've needed to get involved this deeply with Linux routing issues (I'm mainly a NetWare - now general Novell - and OS/2 - now eComStation consultant).

Am having some difficulty getting the kernel to accept various ToS values which should be legal (this is under openSuSE 12.1, using 3.1.10 kernel and iproute2 2.6.39). For example:

#ip rule add tos 0x20 table mytable
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

It seems that all of the (original) ToS values work, so I thought that it was just DSCP values which didn't. However, 0x0c works without complaint. It has been suggested to me that only 4-bit values are acceptable and 8-bit ones are not.

Could some kind soul point me in the right direction, please?

Many thanks!

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS