Re: How to redirect ICMP traffic? And bug with iptables --gid-owner

On 08/29/12 08:57, I wrote:
> - second, ICMP messages triggered by traffic of that user (or the user
> running "ping") don't go through the tunnel. For example, using tcpdump
> -n -i $publicinterface I'm seeing some ICMP traffic when closing an SSH
> connection in the clear, being sent to the target IP of the host that
> ssh was connected to.

That latter case wasn't ICMP, but just ACKs. Still, my question about
how to fix this stands. My guess is that those packets are made after
the process issues close, and there's no user anymore at that point.

I've tried using CONNMARK instead of MARK but that didn't work at all.

> [1] https://github.com/pflanze/openvpn-tunnel-setup

Since I couldn't figure out a solution, I've now changed the script to
forward all traffic *except* DHCP and openvpn's own encrypted traffic
through the VPN, which works cleanly (this has a couple other drawbacks,
like needing hooks to stop routing traffic over the VPN automatically if
the host network device (where the encrypted traffic passes through)
goes down to avoid loops, maybe I'll figure out another workaround for
this); but anyway it can be neat to selectively encrypt traffic by user
only, and I'm still interested how I could make it work. This variant of
the script now lives on in a separate branch, at:

https://github.com/pflanze/openvpn-tunnel-setup/tree/selective

Thanks for any feedback
Christian.