Re: Packet Interception

Hi.

Jayesh Agrawal wrote:
Hello!
In the earlier mail I think I was not clear... Actually the following is my requirements: 1) our requirement is to capture all packets originating/destined to a particular machine. This also includes ping packets to same machine/localhost. i.e. at machine A we want to also capture packets originating from say machine A and destined to machine A (these propably do not go to data link layer).
did you consider using iptables -j QUEUE ? maybe it would be possible with that (even if you want to delay loopback packets).
http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~grier/projects/libipq.html
2) we want to experiment the behavior by adding delays to those packets, and that is why we want the actual packet and a copy of packet wont serve purpose.
but i saw warning that when you delay for too long, queue may fill up and you start to loose packets.
3) we are open to listen at whatever layer (datalinke/network) and so how can we achieve this functionality.

you were right, loopback packets aren't seen in pcap, only thing going through some interface